First Plastic Part Samples Reveled
about 1 month ago
– Tue, Nov 02, 2021 at 06:20:21 AM
I have some great news! Our manufacturer has sent over our very first plastic part samples. Since we hit all our stretch goals during the campaign, we've turned all our durable cardboard components into 3D modeled plastic pieces. And today we get our very first look at the molds. Below you will see the following from LEFT to RIGHT:
- LIMITED Video Rental Return Box (Available in the "Collector's Edition" reward tier)
- 4 Player Pieces (4x comes standard in base game)
- VHS Token (12x comes standard in base game)
- Late Fee Token (12x comes standard in base game)
We've approved the molds and are awaiting a physical copy in the mail which will include colored versions of each. I'll post another update once we get that package.
Looks like things are going to start moving a little faster now that there is actual production work happening. We had to wait our turn, and go through several pandemic related delays, but here we are. I'm very excited to post more when we get more. Until then stay tuned.
Jason & Josh
Are You an Ex Video Rental Store Employee?
2 months ago
– Fri, Oct 01, 2021 at 03:14:54 AM
Full transparency here. Rental Rumble is 100% submitted to our manufacturer and there is nothing we can do on our end until they deliver the digital proofs except wait. Due to the state of the world our manufacturer is slowly progressing with our project, but there have been countless delays and many excuses. Basically, we are in manufacturing limbo. Creatively speaking, this is the most frustrating thing I've ever had to do. It's embarrassing beyond measure and has been deeply affecting my mental health. I don't publicly admit stuff like this often, but I've been really sad lately. And worst of all, you don't have your game yet. For that I am truly sorry. Your patience means the world to me right now.
Instead of just posting yet another sad delay update, I want to get to know you all better! First, I'd love to identify who here has ever worked at a video rental store. If the answer is YES, I'd love for you to comment the following:
1.) What video rental store did you work at?
2.) Where was is located?
3.) When did you work there?
And I'd like to invite you to a new Facebook Group I created called "Ex Video Rental Store Employees"
JOIN NOW: "Ex Video Rental Store Employees" Facebook Group
This will be a special place for us to all convene, share memories, and invite all our ex co-workers and friends that we know used to work at a video rental store. This is super grassroots and niche and just the beginning. All who join will be the foundation of this group and will help me shape it. I can think of no better additions than Rental Rumble backers :)
If you did not work at a video rental store, I still want to hear from you in the comments:
1.) What was/is your favorite video rental store?
2.) Share one good memory you have from renting movies back in the day.
If you worked at a store AND want to answer these questions go for it!
Can't wait to see these comments, and I hope to see some of you join the new group.
Manufacturing & Shipping Updates (Plus COVID Delays...)
3 months ago
– Tue, Aug 31, 2021 at 10:11:47 PM
Hey friends. We really, really wish we could stop posting updates about manufacturing delays BUT this part of the process is truly out of our control. But, I wanted to share a few things that have happened over the past few weeks along with a final look at our full box art and game board. Let's get the gloomy stuff out of the way first:
- As we mentioned in a past update, ALL art is complete and ALL files are fully delivered to our manufacturer. There is physically nothing we can do at the moment but remain patient and message our manufacturer every week for an update.
- Speaking of updates, our manufacturer told us it would take 2-3 weeks to turn around a digital proof of the final game for us to approve before moving onto the next step. It's been about 4 weeks since then and that has not happened yet. MAINLY, it was due to a COVID-related shutdown. Our manufacturer was closed for 2 weeks due to COVID and halted ALL production. While frustrating, we understand the situation, and that means a few extra weeks until we get our digital proofs. Sigh.
- Both manufacturing AND shipping delays are widespread across all tabletop projects in this phase. Well, I suppose it's affecting a lot of other things too, but selfishly, we keep an eye on the tabletop industry. If you want some insight into what's going on you can check out this article for more information. The TL;DR is - manufacturing and shipping sucks for everyone right now, and it's especially hard for first-timers like us to navigate it all.
Ok, now for some stuff that's a little more fun-filled!
Here's an updated look at the final files we sent to the manufacturer for our box art AND game board. As you can see, we settled on a rad color story, and Josh's art is a complete homerun. Between this and all that card art we shared earlier we are pleased. Not to mention all the cool player pieces, mini VHS tapes, Late Fee Tokens, quarter toy capsules, 1999 Expansion cards, and that mini rental return box ALL packed in a VHS box :)
We hope you like the final colors and design as much as we do. Feel free to let us know in the comments.
And one final sneak peak project I'm working on:
I feel like there is not great community out there for previous (and maybe current!) video rental store employees. I'm working on creating a space for us to all hang out and share stories and memories. And who knows, maybe in this space you can live-action ask me where the hell this game is already! In any case, start thinking back at where and when you worked at a Video Rental store! We're going to become a family soon...stay tuned :)
Jason Furie & Josh Herbolsheimer
Digital Proof Taking Longer Than Expected...
4 months ago
– Sat, Jul 31, 2021 at 04:22:55 AM
As we mentioned last month, we've submitted all files to our manufacturer and are awaiting a digital proof which they said would take 2-3 weeks. They recently responded to us with some clarification questions and we had to make some minor adjustments to sizes on a few components. It all has to fit snugly in a retro VHS box after all. So it's talking a bit longer than we expected and we're now just holding out for the final digital proof to review from the manufacturer.
We'll be sure to make an update once we get the proof and can hopefully share some images and insight once we get that. We're going to hold off on sending our BackerKit Backer Surveys (where you can customize your order, provide shipping info, ect) until we "ok" the digital proof. We want to ensure all our sizes and weights are best predicted before we send those out to you all.
Hopefully we'll post another update sooner than later. Here's an updated review of where we are in the process:
Submitted all files to manufacturer!
5 months ago
– Tue, Jun 29, 2021 at 04:40:53 AM
Great news backers! We've finished and submitted ALL files to our manufacturer for review.
During this step, the manufacturer will need a little bit of time to review all components and create a digital proof for us to approve. How long this takes typically depends on how many edits we need to pass back and forth. Once we are happy with the digital proofs, we will receive a quote and then we will need to accept both the proofs and the quote .
Once we get through this step, we will be ready to send out our BackerKit Surveys which will allow you to:
- Submit your mailing address (you will be able to edit this until we lock orders to ship)
- Add items to your order (extra copies of Rental Rumble, 1999 Expansion, Mini Return Box, ect.)
- See how much shipping & handling will cost in your region
*At this stage we will not be charging cards just yet, you'll have time to customize your orders for a few weeks/months before that happens.
We are beyond excited to graduate into this step as we get closer to finishing Rental Rumble. Your patience as we navigate this all for the first time has helped us stay positive and productive. Thank you.
Here's an updated review of where we are in the process: